Sandy Timeline up to 1899

Prehistoric PeriodEarthworks on Galley Hill in Sandy form a univallate (a single encircling rampart) hillfort of the Iron Age period. A second hillfort known as Caesar’s Camp lays approximately 1 km to the north and a third, The Lodge, lays 150m to the east. Three hillforts in close proximity is a rare occurrence. A cursus monument – the Biggleswade Cursus – would have been visible from Galley Hill (Albion Archaeology, 2006)
1086The Domesday Survey records that Eudo Dapifer holds the Manor of Sandy. On his death it passed to the Beauchamp family who continued to hold the Manor until the fourteenth century
14th CenturySt Swithun’s Church founded.
1538Parish registers started.
1555Statute Duty to maintain roads on a parish by parish basis introduced by Act of Parliament.
1660John Wynne left £140 to provide every Sunday a 1d loaf for 12 poor persons and 20/- for a sermon on the anniversary of his death
1675The Monoux family move from London to live in Sandye Place. They became Justices of the Peace and served as trustees for the turnpike road.
1671Population totals 736 persons.
1675Ogilvy’s map shows bridges at Biggleswade and Girtford.
1680Rev. Francis Palmer, formerly a rector of Sandy and founder of Palmer’s Charity, To encourage the regular attendance at Church of the poor he left a sum of 12 pence a week to be distributed to those twelve poor persons who should frequent the Church ever Lord’s Day throughout the year.
1690Mr. T. Bromsall, another founder of a charity, passed away. He left £200 for the benefit of the poor of the parish of Sandy. About the same time another gentleman named Yarrow gave (but whether by deed or will is not known) to the poor of Sandy four acres of land, the rent of which to be applied to their benefit.
1725A turnpike from Biggleswade to Alconbury Hill is established by Act of Parliament.
1729Sandy Rectory built
1736Girtford Bridge is repaired by the Turnpike Trust.
1761William Pym inherits the Hasells Hall estate
1770“The parish of Sandy near Northill is much noted for its gardens; there are above 150 acres of land occupied by many gardeners…it is a rich, loose, black sand of a good depth, and very favourable protected from adverse winds by several considerable hills.” (Arthur Young from Six Months’ Tour through the North of England, 1770)
1783Girtford Bridge is opened following building over 1780/1782 by the Turnpike Trustees.
1791Humphrey Repton produces a Red Book for redesign of the grounds of Hasells Hall.
1799The Sandy Enclosure Award map is drawn up
1801Population totals 1115.
1804Sandy was enclosed
1811Population totals 1122.
1821Population totals 1393.
1822Girtford Bridge is repaired by the County Council (?).
1831Population totals 1617.
1838The Lord Nelson pub Opened
1840Free School for Girls built and supported by Sir Francis Pym.
1840“Owing to the sandy nature of the soil, cucumbers are cultivated in the open air in such abundance that Covent Garden Market, London, is almost wholly supplied with that vegetable from this place.” (S. Lewis from Topographical Dictionary of England, 1840)
1841Population totals 1906.
1842Sandy Mill with 6 acres of pasture land for rent Bedfordshire Mercury 11 June 1842
1842Bishop of Ely consecrated ground in Sandy Bedfordshire Mercury 20 August 1842
1850Sandy Place up for sale
1850Opening of the Great Northern Railway and Sandy Station “Mercury August”
1850Mary Ongley (maiden name) dies at Sandye Place aged 85.
1851Population totals 1946.
1853Park House is sold off by the Sandye Place estate.
1853Fatal Accident at the Stone Pit Stratford “Mercury”
1854First Baptist Chapel built in Pleasant Place
1855August Captain Peel returned to Sandy from The Crimea “Mercury 25_08_1855”
1857The Shannon locomotive is built for the Sandy and Potton Railway.
1857Opening of the Potton to Sandy Railway Line “Mercury 20_06_1857”
1857The final version of Sandy watermill is built.
1858Sir William Peel dies at Cawnpore, India.
1858The Rev, J. Richardson, new rector “Mercury 08_11_1858”
1859Church restoration almost complete “Mercury 05 December 1859”
1860Frances Leslie Pym, Lord of the Manor of Sandy, dies in a train crash at Hitchin on his way to the reopening of St St Swithun’s Parish Church (26 April).
1860Re-Opening of Sandy Church “Bedfordshire Times and Independent 21 April 1860”
1861Statue of Sir William Peel in Sandy Church “Bedfordshire Times and Independent 22 October 1861”
1862Gas comes to Sandy “Mercury14 December 1861”
1862The Prince of Wales Beerhouse Opened
1862Sandy to Potton line sold to Bedford to Cambridge Company “Mercury 01_03_1862”
1862Bedford to Cambridge Railway line opens 7th July
1862The Bell Public House opened
1863Girtford (as not a parish) deleted from Biggleswade district.
1866Mission Church built in London Road
1867The Foster family replace Mary Elizabeth Brandreth as the residents at Sandye Place.
1867St. Swithun’s School founded. It was opened as a National Society School in buildings on St. Neots Road.
1868Primitive Methodist Chapel in London Road Girtford Closed 1910
1869Right Hon. Arthur Wellesley Peel P.C., M.P., D.L., J.P., D.C.L. (Oxford), Speaker of the House of Commons builds Sandy Lodge in 200 acres of grounds completed in 1877. It was designed by the architect Henry Clutton who also designed Shuttleworth College (Pevsner, 1968).
1871Population totals 2482.
1872Sandy became a postal centre
1872Parish Church new organ inaugurated “October”
1876The River Ivel Navigation is closed to canal traffic.
1881Population totals 2662.
1882The first fire station built in Sandy at 10 Cambridge Road on land given by Francis Pym.
1882Allan Jeeves & Son commence the manufacture of pickles and sauces in Sandy. 
1886Nos 53/57 High Street (including Gilby’s) is built.
1886New Road Built
1886Mission Church built in London Road Girtford.
1887Baptist Church built in Bedford Road at a cost of £2,000 (the original congregation dated back however to 1701).
1889A Burial Board formed on 25th October to decide on the location of a cemetery site.
1890The Stone Axe Public House Closed
1891St Swithuns Churchyard Closed for burials 31st March
1891Sandy and District Conservative Club built in Bedford Road.
1891The Old Sandy Conservative Club Room catches fire.
1891Population totals 2755.
1891Cemetery opened in Potton Road (on the site of Cabbage Hall farm), a chapel was erected in 1892 at a cost of £580.
1891Frances Pearson charity founded.
1892The new Sandy Conservative club is formally opened.
1894Start of Beeston and District Cycling Club. 14th April
1894Parish Council created
1895First meeting of the Parish Council in the new Council Chamber at the Fire Station. February
1898Some years before, Miss Barnet purchased Calvinistic Chapel on Beeston Green for a Recreation Room
1898School closed for Two months due to Diphtheria “October”