Sandy Timeline 1900 to Present

1900Salvation Barracks erected in Bedford Road
1901Sandy and District Conservative Club built in Bedford Road.
1901Sandy Parish Council created.
1901Population totals 3110.
1902The Queen Window unveiled by Francis Pym at the Church “November”
1903Sandy Parish Council formally names the streets of Sandy.
1903Bridge Street name changed to Ivel Road
1903Beeston Recreation Room Opened 30th November
1904Telephone open to subscribers “November”
1905Sir Robert Edgecumbe sells Sandye Place.
1905Sandy Council School (later Laburnum Lower School) opened in the Baptist School Room. “9th November”
1906Town Hall (later the Roundabout Club) built
1907Sandy Council School moved to the new school building “4th August”
1907Floods hit the town and cut it off from many surrounding areas.
190738,762 telegrams are dealt with by Sandy Post Office.
1908George Schilling, the World’s Greatest Pedestrian, visits Sandy.
1909Sandy Albion FC formed.
1909George Town Built (Tempsford Road)
1910Primitive Methodist Chapel built in St. Neots Road at a cost of £1,000.
1911Population totals 3377.
1913Rev John Richardson, Rector for 55 years, dies.
1919The Victory Cinema opens.
1919Bricklayers Arms Closed
1921Council Houses in Orchard Road Beeston Built
1921The Bedfordshire Times and Independent records the unveiling of the Sandy war memorial “On Sunday, Sandy paid tribute to its hundred and eleven sons who made the great sacrifice”. The parish church memorial was unveiled by the Duke of Bedford and dedicated by the Rev. Canon J.H. Speck. It took the form of a small stained glass window of two lights in the church. The figures represented are Courage and Victory. The window was executed by Percy Bacon Ltd. (Bedfordshire Times and Independent, January 14th 1921, p.10)
1921The great North Road is designated as the “A1”
1923Purchase of the Recreation Ground for £1211.00
1923The green of Sandy Conservative Bowls Club is laid.
192410 Houses erected on the south side of West Road
1927The Bedfordshire (Sandy Urban District) Confirmation Order creates an Urban District on 1st April governed by 12 members. First chairman Mr Alfred Cope
1927Start of Electric Street Lighting
1928Gunns Bakery opens in Old London Road. It was based here until 1967 when it moved to the Market Square.
1931Population totals 3140.
1932Brickmakers Arms Closed “Beds Times 5th February”
1934Sandy Lodge sold by the Peel family to Sir Malcolm Stewart, chairman of the London Brick Company.
1935/36New Road bridge to be replaced with concrete as the wood is rotting
1936Responsibility for the A1 is transferred to the ministry of Transport under the Trunk Roads Act
1938Girtford Halt opened 1st January
1938South Road Built
1938First Diesel train service on the Oxford to Cambridge line September
1939Children from Hornsey evacuated to Sandy. The head teacher of St. Swithun’s School found places for 140 evacuees.
1940Total Refugees and Evacuees in Sandy “October”
1941The King and Queen of Yugoslavia visit Sandy.
1946Ten Pre-Fabs erected in East Road the first in Sandy to be built.
1946St Swithuns Way built
1947Final year in which Sandy watermill is water powered.
1947Sandye Place used for the last time as a private residence, by Fanny Graves.
1947Fire at the Victory Cinema.
194712 Airey Type Rural Houses in East Road, Sandy
1949The Crescent Beeston Council Houses Built
1950Albany Cinema opens.
1951Population totals 3667.
1951Sandye Place Secondary County School opened in December
1951Sidney C Banks firm becomes a limited company
1952New Road Bridge closed for replacement
1952Windsor Way Built
1953Beeston Children’s Playground opened by Mrs A. Cope “April”
1954The fire station moves from Cambridge Road to Ivel Road and was opened by Alan Lennox-Boyd MP.
1955New Red Lion Opened
1957Greyhound Pub Closed
1958Lepard Brothers Limited relocates to Sandy.
1959Belam Way Built
1961The Georgian Rectory of St Swithun’s Church is demolished.
1961Population totals 3963.
1961Prince of Wales Beerhouse Closed July
1961RSPB buys Sandy Lodge for £20,000.
1962Duelling of the A1
1963Tiers from 4 rooms and the wall between playgrounds removed at the council school
1965New Sandy Rectory Built
1967Sandy and District Amateur Boxing Club formed.
1967Bedford to Cambridge Railway Line closed 31st December
1968Bedford to Cambridge Railway Track removal begins 13th August
1968Sandy Silver Band adopts that name.
1968Sandy Theatre Group formed.
1970Prince Charles visits the RSPB
1971Population totals 5377.
1973Sandy Sports Council is formed.
1973Sandy Colts Football Club formed.
1973London overspill Scheme
1973Engayne Housing Estate
1974Sandy Urban District Council abolished.
1974Sandy Town Council formed
1974Sandy Town Bowling Club formed.
1974Sandy Upper School and Community College opened with 154 pupils
975Lepard Brothers Limited factory closes.
1976Cedar Gardens Built on the site of “The Towers” a large house
977Home green of Sandy Town Bowling Club opened.
1977Sandy watermill demolished
1979Sandy Upper School Opened
1981Sandy Village Hall opened
1981All Saints Mission Church London Road was closed and demolished
1981Sandy Show held at Bickerdike’s Garden Centre for the first time.
1982Handley Court opens. 29th October
1982Sandy Twins with Malaunay, France
1983Heron Close built in the kitchen Garden of Park House
1984Ken Quince publishes “The Sandy I Knew”.
1986New Sandy Post Office opened By Rt. Hon. Nicholas W Lyell. Q.C., M.P.
1987The new St. Swithun’s Lower School buildings open on what was part of Sandy Middle School. The original school – situated in St. Neots Road – was founded in 1869.
1988Girtford Crescent Built
1989Archaeological work starts on Sandy cemetery. Many Roman remains including human skeletons and animal bones were found. One particularly important find was a sculpture showing three figures in Roman dress.
1994The Lord Nelson pub renamed Sir William Peel
1994Girtford Bridge closed for strengthening and renovation work.
1995Trevor Brooking visits Sandy to open the town’s all weather sports pitch.
1996Rivermead Gardens Built
1996Braybrook Road Built
1999Bickerdike Gardens Developed
2000Maple Tree Lower School opens.
2001Sandy Albion FC and Sandy Town FC amalgamate to form Sandy Football Club. Danisco Plant closes in December.
2002The Sandy Summer Festival organisers announce that due to lack of support there will be not be a Festival in 2003. The Festival has been in existence for over 30 years.
2003First edition of SHRUB magazine issued by SHRG.
2003Sandy Upper School became designated Sports College
2004Cycle track 51 constructed
2006Meller Beauty closes its manufacturing factory in October.
2013Tesco Opens 1st August
2015Bidlake Croft named by Aston Bainborough Built By Alan Brown Builders
2015Centurion Walk Built
2016Budgins Closed and replaced by the Coop
2016Lloyds Bank Closes. October
2017First Mosaic fitted to Post Office Wall July
2018Barclays Bank Closed 16th February
2018Sandy Upper School renamed “Sandy Secondary School” 16th September
2018Sandy Green Wheel opened. 16th September
2019Bandstand Opened. July
2019Sandye Place Closes. August. History of Sandy Place (open in a new window)